Friday, January 20, 2012

No. 16- Fiddler on the Roof






Film: Fiddler on the Roof

Starring: Topol

Directed by: Norman Jewison

Released: 1971


I first saw this movie...
2005, friend's house

Why I love it...
I get that not everyone enjoys watching musicals, especially film musicals. And I'm not going to try and convince anyone of changing their opinion- I know it's not for everyone and that's fine. But with that said, I still think Fiddler on the Roof is a film that no one can deny is incredible.

First I should mention how riveting and memorable the music is. And especially when you have a performer like Topol providing the voice for Tevye- you can't go wrong.
But, again, aside from the music and dancing and all those other things that turn people off of musicals- the story is phenomenal. You have arguably the most interesting fictional character ever, Tevye. You have the themes of religion and values, along with the social dilemma of politics and adaptation to the modern world.
How can your heart not be plunged into this story when you look into the weary, conflicted eyes of Tevye as he's just sung of what he sees as the heartbreaking loss of a daughter?
It's epic. There has never been another movie like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment