Thursday, February 16, 2012

No. 4- The Empire Strikes Back






Film: Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

Starring: Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher

Directed by: Irvin Kershner

Released: 1980


I first saw this movie...
Childhood

Why I love it...
A couple of days ago was Valentine's Day. I was asked by a few people throughout the day to give my favorite romantic film. And without any hesitation, each time I answered The Empire Strikes Back. And without fail, each time the person looked surprised followed by confusion.
There's a lot to love about this film. It may very well be the best sequel of all time. This also is the introduction to many iconic characters from the Star Wars saga: Yoda, Boba Fett, the emperor, Lando Calrissian, etc. It is the world's first real glimpse into the deeper teachings of the force. C-3PO is absolutely hilarious in this one. And it features one of the best light saber duels.

But the reason I love it so much is the romance. The storyline between Han and Leia takes it from a great movie to one of my all-time favorites. There's some classic dialogue that will always have a place in my heart ("You like me because I'm a scoundrel"). And I'm sorry but the exchange of "I love you" and "I know" will never stop being awesome.
I love this movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment